Provided summaries of five studies in social psychology. For each study described below, select the correct answer to the multiple-choice and short-answer questions.
1. For all of the five studies, identify the specific research method from the multiple-choice list of options.
2. If it is a quantitative study, identify the independent and dependent variables and determine the hypothesis.
3. If it is a qualitative study, identify the concept or phenomenon of interest being explored.
1. Researchers (Dexter et al., 1998) wanted to know what impact, if any, the consumption of violent movies has on attitudes toward women. Participants at a large, midwestern university viewed either (a) a slasher film daily for 1 week, (b) Three slasher films in 1 week, or (c) a George Pierrot adventure travelogue. Slasher films feature the slicing and dicing of young women’s bodies (e.g., The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, 1974). In the week following the film viewing, all participants were escorted to the campus law school where they were asked to observe law students try a rape case in a mock trial; participants’ task was to evaluate the performance of all parties to the trial. A Likert-style questionnaire (1=not at all; 9=extremely) completed by participants included evaluations of the respective attorneys, the defendant, and the accuser. Examples were:
· How sympathetic is she/he?
· How attractive is she/he?
· How intelligent is she/he?
· How likable is she/he?
Dexter, H. R., Penrod, S., Linz, D., & Saunders, D. (1998). Attributing responsibility to female victims after exposure to sexually violent films: The effects of victim-observer similarity, situational relevance, and mass media-induced emotional arousal. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 27(24), 2149-2171.
a) What is the research method employed in this study?
(Highlight the correct answer)
E. Case Study
Aronson, E., Wilson, T. D., Akert, R. M., & Sommers, S. R. (Eds.). (2019). Social psychology (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Chapter 2, “Methodology: How Social Psychologists Do Research”